Segmentation is the activity of dividing your audience into sub-groups known as segments based on some type of shared characteristics.
WonderPush lets you send notifications to one or more segments.
Using segments allows you to send more relevant, targeted notifications to a sub-group of your audience. In our experience, sending relevant notifications contributes to a better user experience, generates more clicks and less users unsubscribing.
Here are a few examples where segmentation can be used to send relevant notifications:
- an e-commerce website can send discounts to customers that haven't purchased in a while,
- a news outlet can notify its readers interested in economics of a new piece on the subject,
- another news outlet might notify users in a particular city of a transportation strike.
To send a notification to one or more segments, use the Target tab of the notification edition page.
In order to create segments relevant to your business, WonderPush can collect 3 types of data: events, tags and properties.
WonderPush lets you specify criteria based on this data to create your own segments.
Events are sent when interesting things take place in the user journey. Events may contain additional information about what happened. A few common examples of events are:
- user purchased something
- user read an article
- user added something to his/her cart.
Tags are like labels you can stick on users. Common examples of tags include:
- “Customer”, a tag added whenever one makes a purchase,
- “Economics”, “Football”, or as many categories a reader of a news outlet might want to subscribe to.
Find out more about Tags and how to set them.
Properties are key/value pairs where the value can be of types such as integer, floating-point number, boolean, string, etc. Typical properties are:
- a user's age (integer),
- a user's full name (string),
- a customer's all-time generated revenue (floating-point).